Lisbon, February 1, 2013 – Yesterday night the winning 20 organisations received the NYSE Euronext Lisbon Awards in recognition of their contribution to the development of the Portuguese capital markets during 2012. Issuers, brokers, investment banks, analysts, fund managers, law firms and academics were among the winners.
For the first time this year, the best published article on capital markets was also awarded. Several entries were received and assessed under a number of criteria such as relevance, opportunity, in-depth analysis and rigour.
A round table discussion on “Managing with Humour – Financing Happiness”was held as part of this years even. The participants comprised of Manuel Caldeira Cabral, from the University of Minho, Paulo Morgado, from Capgemini and Sérgio Figueiredo, from the EDP Foundation. In addition Carlos Moedas, Secretary of State to the Prime Minister gave the closing speech.
Luís Laginha de Sousa, Chairman and CEO of NYSE Euronext Lisbon made the following statement at the event: “We launched the NYSE Euronext Lisbon Awards during one of the most difficult periods in the history of our country. We believe that it is especially when times are hard that we must recognise the efforts, dedication and commitment that people are making to face up to the difficulties and contribute to the development of the capital markets. This year’s awards reinforce our belief that many of the factors that help us overcome problems may be decisively and positively influenced by all those who are an integral part of the capital markets ecosystem.”
He added: “In a context where technology plays a more important role than ever, thus pulling the market players apart more often, the Awards also contribute to the promotion of a greater reinforcement of the human role which is fundamental to any activity.”
And concluded: “We are confident that there are many opportunities for the development of the capital markets, not as an end but as a means for the economic development of our country. To that purpose, we hope that the Awards are an incentive to the winners and nominees as well as to everyone who contributes to the development of our market and consequently our country.”
The jury of the NYSE Euronext Lisbon Awards is made up of members of the PSI20 Committee namely, Prof. Doutor João da Silva Ferreira, Prof. Doutor João Duque and Prof. Doutor Rui Alpalhão. These awards are based on quantitative criteria as far as possible.
The nominees and winners of the 2013 edition were:
Listed company- Best Performance - Compartment A
Galp Energia SGPS, S.A.
Listed company- Best Performance - Compartments B and C
Market member- Most Active Trading House in Shares
Market member - Most Active Trading House in Shares - Compartments B and C
Market member - Most Active Trading House in Bonds
Market member - Most Active Trading House in ETF
Market member - Most Active Trading House in Certificates
Market member - Most Active Trading House in Derivatives Market
Market member - Most Active Trading House in Warrants
Nº1 Seasoned Equity Offer House
Nº1Corporate Bond House
Most Active Research House
Most Active Law Firm
Investment Fund/ Open Pension Fund in Portuguese Stocks
Best Scientific Research on Portuguese Capital Markets – PhD Thesis and Published Articles
Best Scientific Research on Portuguese Capital Markets – Master’s Thesis
Best Capital Market Promotion Event – Dedicated to institutional investors
Best Capital Market Promotion Event – Dedicated to retail investors
Best Media Article on Capital Markets
Notes to Editors
NYSE Euronext Lisbon Awards was assessed by a jury made up of members of the PSI20 Committee: Dr. João Silva Ferreira (PhD), Dr.João Duque (PhD) and Dr, Rui Alpalhão (PhD). The jury reserves the right to not give an award if it considers some or all of the conditions are not met, namely the criteria identified below for each of the categories.
NYSE Euronext Lisbon Awards Definition
1. Listed Company. The performance of the listed companies will be assessed by the total turnover, reflecting price evolution and dividend payments. Those companies which are listed in the Euronext segment are eligible, including those from abroad. The listed companies which trade shares less than 80% of the trading days as well as those performing negatively will not be eligible.
2. Market Member. The performance of the members will be assessed in turnover (€) traded at NYSE Euronext Lisbon, in the values for this identified category.
3. IPO House. The performance of the financial broker will be assessed on the amount placed in securities identified in this category, listed in the Euronext regulated segment. The Initial Public Offer and Seasoned Equity Offer are eligible. In investment, only the financial brokers who are leaders are eligible.
4. Most active Research House. The performance in this category will award the coverage of the shares listed in the Euronext segment, assessed by the number of companies covered, published reports by each company in the year of assessment and assigned team.
5. Most Active Law Firm. The performance of the Law Firms will be assessed by the number of issued shares and bonds listed in the Euronext segment (regulated) in which they were involved, weighting the respective amounts.
6. Investment Fund/Open Pension Fund in Portuguese Stocks. The aim is to recognise the investment fund/open pension fund which has made the biggest effort in investing in listed shares in NYSE Euronext Lisbon, in comparison with the initial national stocks’ portfolio. This award was developed in partnership with APFIPP, which contributed to the definition of the criteria and will provide technical support in the selection of the annual winner.
7. Financial innovation. This is a category which covers all initiatives, including products, services, events or other marked by innovation in the Portuguese capital market.
8. Best Scientific Research on Portuguese Capital Markets. Marked MSc/MA and PhD theses and published articles which include an analysis on the securities listed in NYSE Euronext Lisbon will be eligible. They may additionally include an analysis of securities listed in other markets.
9. Best Capital Market Promotion Event. In this category the event promoting the Portuguese capital market with the biggest impact will be awarded. As much as possible, objective criteria will be used. Namely, number of participants, used means, broadcasts and media coverage.
10. Best media article on capital markets. In this category the best article published on capital market will be assessed by relevance, opportunity, depth and rigueur. Only one article may be submitted by each journalist.
About NYSE Euronext
NYSE Euronext refers to NYSE Euronext and its affiliates and references to NYSE Euronext in this publication include each and any such company as the context dictates. NYSE Euronext, New York Stock Exchange, NYSE MKT, NYSE Alternext, NYSE Arca and NYSE Liffe are registered marks of NYSE Euronext. © 2013, NYSE Euronext – All rights reserved.
 This Award was developed in partnership with APFIPP
Only candidates who are journalists with a valid license to practice at the time of publication will be admitted. The articles about the capital market can be submitted via paper or online, between 1st December 2012 and 30th November 2013. Submissions should be sent to NYSE Euronext Lisbon to the following email: PressOfficeNYSEEuronextLisbon@nyx.comuntil the 30th November 2013. Proof of valid license to practice should be included.