News Releases

NYSE Euronext Takes Over Carbon Quota and Credit Market
Development of this market to continue in association with Caisse des Dépôts through a new entity named BlueNext

NYSE Euronext and Caisse des Dépôts are delighted with the decision taken by Powernext shareholders at today's Extraordinary General Meeting to approve NYSE Euronext's acquisition of Powernext Carbon, the company's market operator specializing in CO2 emission permits.

This transaction will be associated with the sale of NYSE Euronext's 34% interest in Powernext to HGRT (Holding de Gestionnaires de Réseaux de Transport).

As a consequence, NYSE Euronext and Caisse des Dépôts are setting up a new joint enterprise named BlueNext, which will be the operator for the organized international market in CO2 permits, taking responsibility for trading and related settlement and delivery.

Caisse des Dépôts will contribute to BlueNext the settlement and delivery business it handled for Powernext Carbon.

NYSE Euronext will hold 60% of BlueNext's equity and Caisse des Dépôts the remaining 40%. The company will be headed by Serge Harry, the NYSE Euronext Management Committee member responsible for group strategy, who will be assisted by Deputy CEO Pierre Ducret, who heads banking services at Caisse des Dépôts. BlueNext will base its business development on Powernext Carbon, Europe 's leading cash market in the field, drawing strength from NYSE Euronext's international network and know-how in market operation, combined with the recognized expertise of Caisse des Dépôts in carbon emission finance, particularly as regards the technology of permit markets.

Press contacts:

NYSE Euronext 
Antoinette Darpy – 00 33 1 49 27 53 75

Caisse des Dépôts 
Philippe Joyeux – 00 33 1 58 50 40 00

About NYSE Euronext
NYSE Euronext, a holding company created by the combination of NYSE Group, Inc. and Euronext N.V., commenced trading on April 4, 2007. NYSE Euronext (NYSE Euronext: NYX) operates the world’s largest and most liquid exchange group and offers the most diverse array of financial products and services.    NYSE Euronext, which brings together six cash equities exchanges in five countries and six derivatives exchanges in six countries, is a world leader for listings, trading in cash equities, equity and interest rate derivatives, bonds and the distribution of market data.  Representing a combined $30.3 trillion/€21.3 trillion total market capitalization of listed companies and average daily trading value of approximately $139 billion/€103 billion (as of September 30, 2007), NYSE Euronext seeks to provide the highest standards of market quality and integrity, innovative products and services to investors, issuers, and all users of its markets. NYSE Euronext is part of the S&P 500 and S&P 100 indexes.

About Caisse des Dépôts
Caisse des Dépôts is a long-term investor serving the public interest and France ’s economic development. Environment is one of its four strategic priorities. Today, Caisse des Dépôts is mobilizing its businesses to facilitate the startup and growth of the new carbon economy. Caisse des Dépôts maintains the French national register of greenhouse gas allowances, and its registry software is used by 12 other European countries. Caisse des Dépôts took the initiative to set up the European Carbon Fund (ECF) which, over two years, has financed emission reductions of 26 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent, i.e. 1% of the total international reductions stipulated by the Kyoto Protocol. In 2007, Caisse des Dépôts issued an experimental call for proposal to finance offset projects in France based on the Protocol’s joint implementation (JI) mechanism. It also intends to invest €150m in renewable energy between now and 2010, and will launch the first financial biodiversity operator in 2008.

Contact: Stephanie Scotto
Phone: 212.656.4896